Yealink Forums
Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed (plus Vtalk alert!) - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Phone specific topic (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed (plus Vtalk alert!) (/showthread.php?tid=4060)

Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed (plus Vtalk alert!) - rkroes - 07-06-2015 04:40 PM

I really need some help with this from the Yealink technical gurus, who no doubt can solve this in 30 about seconds flat…

In our small & new(ish) office we have 10 Yealink phones (2 x T32G, 2 x T38G and 6 x T29G) connected to an Asterisk PBX (v11.14.1) which I configured over the weekend. All handsets exhibit the same weird phenomenon. Everything works perfectly internally, except when answering incoming calls from a SIP Trunk (in my case Engin) - the microphone is muted almost instantly after lifting the handset (the caller can sometimes hear the first split second). If we put the call on hold and then un-hold it, a perfectly clear two-way conversation resumes. Also calls which go to voicemail are perfectly fine, so its likely to be handset related. This exact same issue occurred some months back (then connected to a Vtalk PBX appliance) and I fixed it that time by obtaining the latest Yealink firmware. I’ve checked and I already have the latest firmware right now…

These same handsets all did work fine when they were when connected to the Vtalk PBX appliance, so it seems likely that changing a setting in either Asterisk or the handsets might fix this... I expect the people in this forum probably know a fair bit about both :-), so I'm hopeful of a quick resolution...

So any help will be *greatly* appreciated!

VTALK ALERT!

In case anyone who reads this is wondering why I made the urgent switch from the Vtalk PBX appliance (vtalk.com.au) to a home-grown Asterisk setup? The unit mysteriously bricked itself overnight last week. When I called Vtalk for support the following day I could not get a hold of anyone and none my voicemails were ever returned. When I finally did get through later in the afternoon (to someone in the cloud support team) he seemed willing enough to help, but advised me that there were no hardware technicians available to assist me, and that they no longer were able to provide replacements units due to a hardware (& technician) shortage, and that the Vtalk PBX appliance had been withdrawn from sale for this reason. They offered me a free "upgrade" to their cloud solution, but none of my handsets are supported... So I was left with an office full of dead phones - not great for business! To the Vtalk "cloud support" person's credit I did receive a follow up email today. It seems the cost of repairs (if not under warranty) will be $500+GST (with a 3 day turn-around) - That's more than half the purchase price of the unit! Needless to say alarm bells are ringing... I hope this helps some else, or am I the only sod in Australia who bought one? Ah well, I'm *almost* home free - with a little bit your help :-)

Cheers - Rob.

RE: Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed - James_Yealink - 07-07-2015 04:24 PM

Hello Rob,

If all three models can't work it may attribute to server setting.
If you call an external number from Yealink phone can it work well? If yes, probably some RTP port is not opened in the Asterisk server.

Regards,
James

RE: Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed - rkroes - 07-07-2015 06:15 PM

(07-07-2015 04:24 PM)Yealink_James Wrote:  Hello Rob,

If all three models can't work it may attribute to server setting.
If you call an external number from Yealink phone can it work well? If yes, probably some RTP port is not opened in the Asterisk server.

Regards,
James

Thanks James.

Yes, all 3 handsets models are affected equally.

Outbound calls work fine. Internal calls are fine. If an inbound call from a SIP trunk is routed straight to voicemail it is fine, but consistently goes mute if sent to Yealink handsets. I will register a soft-phone and try calling that from an external phone and post the results as soon as I have it...

The caller can sometimes hear the first quarter second, but then it goes mute (the timing varies slightly from call to call). Pressing hold/un-hold always fixed it. Are there any Asterisk gurus in this forum who can suggest a setting I can change?

Cheers - Rob.

RE: Inbound calls from SIP trunk are muted until hold/un-hold pressed - rkroes - 07-08-2015 06:52 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!

For future reference to everyone who stumbles upon this issue in the future; it was an rookie Asterisk mistake. I was missing the Answer() statement in the incoming dial plan. It clearly says in the book (O'Reilly - Asterisk: The Future of Telephony):-

... A few applications don’t require that you answer the channel first, but properly answering the channel before performing any other actions is a very good habit.

As it turns out, this is excellent advice! :-)

Cheers - Rob.