[YMCS/YDMP Free Trial Program]Yealink would like to offer Free Trial Program of Yealink device management service for our current eligible customers. You can see the details below.
https://www.yealink.com/ydmp-freetrial-2020

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
W60B emitting high-pitched noise
msncookie Offline

W60B emitting high-pitched noise
My W60B base has started to emit a loud high pitched noise or squeal. Angry It is about 3 years old and has been powered by a PoE switch with no issues until now. The noise starts as soon as it is connected to PoE/switch port. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but I presume my only option is to replace.

Thanks.
08-18-2021 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user    like0    dislike0 Quote this message in a reply
complex1 Offline
3CX Adv. Cert. Engineer

RE: W60B emitting high-pitched noise
(08-18-2021 09:37 AM)msncookie Wrote:  My W60B base has started to emit a loud high pitched noise or squeal. Angry It is about 3 years old and has been powered by a PoE switch with no issues until now. The noise starts as soon as it is connected to PoE/switch port. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but I presume my only option is to replace.

Thanks.

Hi,

I suggest resetting the base station to factory settings, then reprogram and test again.
Maybe there are some glitches occurs in the settings of the base?

Hope this will help.

Kind regards,
Frank.

I am not an employee of Yealink.
Dutch is my native language, not English. Apologies for my imperfect grammar.
Please do not send unsolicited PM messages. I will not answer them.
08-18-2021 05:05 PM
Phil2021 Offline

(08-18-2021 09:37 AM)msncookie Wrote:  My W60B base has started to emit a loud high pitched noise or squeal. Angry It is about 3 years old and has been powered by a PoE switch with no issues until now. The noise starts as soon as it is connected to PoE/switch port. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but I presume my only option is to replace.

Thanks.

How can this reply be detected as spam then adding this sentence changes it enough to let it continue!

It will likely be coil wine from one of the power chokes, its a problem with all sorts of electrical equipment, a bit like a rattle in a car that develops, but someone else with the exact same car and model doesn't have it, just one of those things. It doesn't usually mean it is about to fail.

Unlikely resetting everything will help, unless the reset puts it back to a slightly different state and it's drawing a different amount of power, as that will adjust the frequency the coil runs at which might stop it resonating. You could try moving it to on its side or putting it flat for a while, it might stop after a while then as the coil vibrates and settles differently. It could also be one of the capacitors acting like a speaker as it is about to fail which could then stop it working.

If you are going to replace then first of all you could try some silicon type sealant and squish it into the coils on the PCB. The base opens easily enough, two screws then a nail running around the edge will eventually pop the top off. You will see on the PCB around 3 or 4 (depends on revision) little grey things marked with numbers on the top, like 220, 4R7 or 6RB and you will see around the sides a thin coil of wire, squishing some silicon sealant around them may dampen them enough to stop the coil whining.

Hope that helps
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2021 08:56 PM by Phil2021.)
08-18-2021 08:19 PM
msncookie Offline

(08-18-2021 08:19 PM)Phil2021 Wrote:  

Thanks.

How can this reply be detected as spam then adding this sentence changes it enough to let it continue!

It will likely be coil wine from one of the power chokes, its a problem with all sorts of electrical equipment, a bit like a rattle in a car that develops, but someone else with the exact same car and model doesn't have it, just one of those things. It doesn't usually mean it is about to fail.

Unlikely resetting everything will help, unless the reset puts it back to a slightly different state and it's drawing a different amount of power, as that will adjust the frequency the coil runs at which might stop it resonating. You could try moving it to on its side or putting it flat for a while, it might stop after a while then as the coil vibrates and settles differently. It could also be one of the capacitors acting like a speaker as it is about to fail which could then stop it working.

If you are going to replace then first of all you could try some silicon type sealant and squish it into the coils on the PCB. The base opens easily enough, two screws then a nail running around the edge will eventually pop the top off. You will see on the PCB around 3 or 4 (depends on revision) little grey things marked with numbers on the top, like 220, 4R7 or 6RB and you will see around the sides a thin coil of wire, squishing some silicon sealant around them may dampen them enough to stop the coil whining.

Hope that helps

Thanks... I figured it must be something along those lines, but your idea - and attention to detail - is much appreciated! I just checked on it, and it appears to have stopped on its own overnight so maybe it "settled" as you mentioned. Thanks again for the tip.
08-18-2021 09:47 PM
benallap12 Offline

We have 13 W60B's installed, all on POE, and have had 3 bases completely fail in the same way.

Power light's on, high pitched squeal but our devices are unreachable. The unit is effectively dead.

I'm curious to know if people are seeing these failures when not using POE?
07-13-2022 10:41 AM
lethol Offline

My W60B base started doing the same high pitched squeal about two months ago (It's also around 2 years old). Luckily it has not affected the overall functionality of the handsets but it's very annoying.

I don't think this can be considered a 'it's just you with bad luck' type of problem if a number of us are getting the same symptoms. I will try the suggestions by Phil2021. I will also try switching from POE to injector (if I'm able to find it :/) to see if that stops the noise.

Any additional feedback from someone with similar problem/fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
08-08-2022 06:00 AM
RobFromSouthJersey Offline

I had a customer who reported a CP930 not functioning.
Upon arrival - saw that the phone wasn't registered to the base. Checked the base and was making the high pitched noise. Changed it from POE to a Power Brick and it would power up, but the pitch of the noise would change.
I replaced the unit to get the customer up and when i brought the W60B back to the office to further test - No Noise. But, it was still not functioning. It too was over 3 years old.
09-19-2022 08:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to enable web server/ GUI on W60B and W70B after provisioning has disabled it. jhofford 2 1,882 09-12-2023 08:42 PM
Last Post: jhofford
  Problems setting up W60B and interface issues Ness 4 4,659 03-30-2023 05:24 PM
Last Post: Ness
  Auto Provision firmware on W60B base station hospitale 6 5,441 02-15-2023 05:54 PM
Last Post: hospitale
  recovery mode W60B files Aleskey 3 5,146 02-14-2023 01:42 AM
Last Post: 88fingerslukee
  W60B Constantly Restarts When W73H Is Connected. nolto 0 1,479 02-07-2023 12:15 AM
Last Post: nolto
  W60B factory reset and default login carsey 3 5,151 02-01-2023 02:52 AM
Last Post: complex1
  W60B remove intercom when transfert MYCOMPUTING 2 2,466 12-08-2022 12:17 AM
Last Post: complex1
  W60B base With 56H ( incomming calls, no ringing when charging ) stéphane 3 8,546 12-01-2022 03:15 AM
Last Post: therring
  ‘New’ W56/W60B default admin password not recognised? Russ1 2 6,102 08-07-2022 02:44 PM
Last Post: Russ1
  All handsets on the same W60B loose registration after many attempts to register Alvaro Gutierrez 1 5,677 06-23-2022 09:56 PM
Last Post: rdurham