[YMCS/YDMP Free Trial Program]Yealink would like to offer Free Trial Program of Yealink device management service for our current eligible customers. You can see the details below.
https://www.yealink.com/ydmp-freetrial-2020

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multicast Paging Across 3 Facilities?
VOIP_IT_Guy Offline

Multicast Paging Across 3 Facilities?
I'm in negotiations with a VOIP provider to install 130+ Yealink handsets across three buildings connected with fiber-optics. The provider will host the pbx (3CX I believe) and manage the phone system.

First they told me that I could not page outside of the POE switch the phone was attached to, then they changed their story to I could page any phone connected to any switch inside the building, but cannot page outside of the building.

They are telling me though that this system is incapable of multicast paging across all three buildings. Nothing in the manuals indicate any sort of limitations other than all the phones need to be on the same subnet, but even that can be mitigated with VLANs.

They tell me I can multicast an entire building from any phone in that building, but I cannot page all three buildings at once. Another provider told me that what I want is possible, but not with a hosted solution, the PBX would have to be onsite. With the hosted solution they need to use a STUN server and a Session Border Controller that disables multicast capabilities across the entire system.

If I can intercom any phone in the system, doesn't it follow that I should be able to page all phones in the system? (I'm assuming dialing extensions between buildings works, but I also assumed a system-wide page would work, as it does with our 20year old Nortel system).

Thanks,
Frustrated IT Guy
08-14-2018 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user    like0    dislike0 Quote this message in a reply
johnkiniston Offline

RE: Multicast Paging Across 3 Facilities?
If your phones are all in the same multicast domain then you should be able to multicast from any phone to your other phones.

It's all down to routing the traffic correctly.
08-14-2018 05:37 PM
complex1 Offline
3CX Adv. Cert. Engineer

(08-14-2018 01:16 PM)VOIP_IT_Guy Wrote:  I'm in negotiations with a VOIP provider to install 130+ Yealink handsets across three buildings connected with fiber-optics. The provider will host the pbx (3CX I believe) and manage the phone system.

First they told me that I could not page outside of the POE switch the phone was attached to, then they changed their story to I could page any phone connected to any switch inside the building, but cannot page outside of the building.

They are telling me though that this system is incapable of multicast paging across all three buildings. Nothing in the manuals indicate any sort of limitations other than all the phones need to be on the same subnet, but even that can be mitigated with VLANs.

They tell me I can multicast an entire building from any phone in that building, but I cannot page all three buildings at once. Another provider told me that what I want is possible, but not with a hosted solution, the PBX would have to be onsite. With the hosted solution they need to use a STUN server and a Session Border Controller that disables multicast capabilities across the entire system.

If I can intercom any phone in the system, doesn't it follow that I should be able to page all phones in the system? (I'm assuming dialing extensions between buildings works, but I also assumed a system-wide page would work, as it does with our 20year old Nortel system).

Thanks,
Frustrated IT Guy

Hi Frustrated IT Guy,

Have you thought about dumping the 3CX provider?

If 3CX can page the phones (multicast paging) in one building, it can also page phones in several buildings IF all buildings are connected to each other by VPN.
With VPN you create one subnet, as you know, so there are no limitations anymore.
Personally I should host the PBX local, onsite. No STUN or SBC have to be used.

Kind regards,
Frank.

I am not an employee of Yealink.
Dutch is my native language, not English. Apologies for my imperfect grammar.
Please do not send unsolicited PM messages. I will not answer them.
08-14-2018 06:21 PM
VOIP_IT_Guy Offline

Quote:Have you thought about dumping the 3CX provider?

Personally I should host the PBX local, onsite. No STUN or SBC have to be used.

Unfortunately the VOIP provider is also the internet provider and network provider, and they don't provide a non-hosted option. So I have to deal with this provider and convince them multicast is possible with a hosted solution, or wait for them to deploy the system and set it up myself.

(08-14-2018 05:37 PM)johnkiniston Wrote:  If your phones are all in the same multicast domain then you should be able to multicast from any phone to your other phones.

It's all down to routing the traffic correctly.

That's what I thought, and since they provide the phones, the host, the network and the internet, any and all limitations are made by them.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 06:26 PM by VOIP_IT_Guy.)
08-14-2018 06:25 PM
jasit Offline

multicast paging uses a different broadcast stream and each of the phones will listen on that port
the sample port most use is 224.0.0.32:10000 even though your network may be 192.168.0.0

with multicast paging on the yealink phones you can setup multiple ports so that you can group the paging if you wish.

Say you only want to page only Building 1
you could have it as 224.0.0.32:10001
building 2 as 224.0.0.32:10002
building 3 as 224.0.0.32:10003

this listening stream is way faster than using the 3cx page to extension feature as it needs to connect to every phone listed before the page can begin.

you can also skip the 3cx portion and just add feature directly on the yealink phones.

Depending on how your router is setup, you will need to potentially setup firewall/routing rules to allow the broadcast across the router.

So yes it is possible. A quick google of multicast traffic over wan brings up lots of reading material.

Jasit
08-15-2018 09:00 PM
jasit Offline

fun fact about 3cx, if you go to there website, you can see the costs on purchasing the software and installing it on your own machine. It is really easy to setup and then you can have it locally hosted.
08-16-2018 01:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  T46G/S Multicast on PC Port Issue MiKeDaDoC 5 11,556 01-02-2023 01:30 AM
Last Post: kw160008
  Paging to the phone coming through while on DND ahcomput_Support 7 8,670 03-26-2022 12:58 AM
Last Post: complex1
  Multicast on T40G choppy sound john2k 0 3,515 03-16-2020 03:24 PM
Last Post: john2k
  T46G Multicast Paging through DND Matthew1111 1 6,382 09-05-2017 07:12 AM
Last Post: Aishion_Yealink
  Paging Issue nick.spannagel 0 3,828 02-15-2017 01:31 PM
Last Post: nick.spannagel
  T46G Paging Issue Stuart 3 9,640 12-30-2016 08:22 AM
Last Post: Travis_Yealink
  T48G using Wifi and Mulitcast paging joshua@itstel.com 1 5,657 10-28-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: jolouis
  T46 hardware versions and multicast paging ComResource 4 12,956 12-15-2015 03:27 AM
Last Post: CWR
  Multicast Page Declined shansted 1 5,491 11-05-2015 03:03 PM
Last Post: Karl_Yealink
  T28P tieing into an external paging/speaker syetme jnewman 1 8,835 11-11-2013 09:18 AM
Last Post: Yealink Support