Yealink Forums
Do the backlights "wear out"? - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Do the backlights "wear out"? (/showthread.php?tid=46506)

Do the backlights "wear out"? - jaimet2 - 03-09-2023 06:02 AM

I have a SIP-T41S and I would like to set the "Backlight Time" (timeout) to "Always On" but I am concerned about the following comments (which I found on another forum):

"It is not recommended by Yealink to turn on backlit permanently, as the display will become pale after sometime."

"Setting the backlight to always on will eventually burn out the backlit/washout the display."

I've googled and (on the assumption that Yealink LCD displays use LED-backlighting) I've discovered that the normal failure mode for LEDs is that their "light output slowly declines over time", and that the "estimated useful life" (L70) of LEDs can vary anywhere between 20,000 hours (2.3 years "always on") and 100,000 hours (11 years "always on").

Does anyone have any knowledge of this subject, anecdotal or otherwise?

RE: Do the backlights "wear out"? - complex1 - 03-10-2023 12:21 AM

(03-09-2023 06:02 AM)jaimet2 Wrote:  I have a SIP-T41S and I would like to set the "Backlight Time" (timeout) to "Always On" but I am concerned about the following comments (which I found on another forum):

"It is not recommended by Yealink to turn on backlit permanently, as the display will become pale after sometime."

"Setting the backlight to always on will eventually burn out the backlit/washout the display."

I've googled and (on the assumption that Yealink LCD displays use LED-backlighting) I've discovered that the normal failure mode for LEDs is that their "light output slowly declines over time", and that the "estimated useful life" (L70) of LEDs can vary anywhere between 20,000 hours (2.3 years "always on") and 100,000 hours (11 years "always on").

Does anyone have any knowledge of this subject, anecdotal or otherwise?

Hi,

I think you have to ask yourself what's more important to you:
Always the backlight on with the result that the lifespan of the screen is shortened, or that you want a long lifespan for your screen.

What is the standard lifespan of a telephone set when it needs to be replaced (EOL), because e.g. the firmware has become too old?
BTW: The T41S is already EOL.

RE: Do the backlights "wear out"? - jamesgilmour - 04-11-2023 04:05 PM

Go with your thought