Yealink Forums
W56H Mac Address - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Dect Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: W56P(Wireless) (/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: W56H Mac Address (/showthread.php?tid=44933)

W56H Mac Address - Phoneperson - 03-06-2021 12:41 AM

How does a person find the MAC address of a handset? All I can seem to find is that of the base station.

RE: W56H Mac Address - Yisroel_MongoTEL - 03-06-2021 01:22 AM

(03-06-2021 12:41 AM)Phoneperson Wrote:  How does a person find the MAC address of a handset? All I can seem to find is that of the base station.

MAC or Serial?

Cuz only devices connected directly to Internet have a MAC address. Cordless Handsets are not devices connected directly to the internet, they're connected through another technology (DECT) to the base.

RE: W56H Mac Address - Phoneperson - 03-06-2021 01:29 AM

Well, that does make perfect sense. Thank you.

So the issue is the MAC address of the base station.

However, that brings up other questions; how does the base station keep the handset separate, and how does PBX software know which handset to target?

RE: W56H Mac Address - Yisroel_MongoTEL - 03-06-2021 01:45 AM

(03-06-2021 01:29 AM)Phoneperson Wrote:  Well, that does make perfect sense. Thank you.

So the issue is the MAC address of the base station.

However, that brings up other questions; how does the base station keep the handset separate, and how does PBX software know which handset to target?

The base/handsets have some kind of other identifier (I think it is the IPUI code, that you can see in the handset's setting Status>Handset). As far as I know that is not something that can be used by us (users.)

The other way (visible to us) that the base identifies the handsets is ones it is subscribed to a base the base gives it a Handset number (Handset 1, Handset 2, etc.) That can be used to assign Accounts (each Registered extension is a seperate account in the base) to Handsets.

This is done (in the web gui) under Account>Number Assignment, or in provisioning through something like:
Code:
handset.1.incoming_lines =
handset.1.dial_out_lines =
handset.1.dial_out_default_line =

RE: W56H Mac Address - Phoneperson - 03-06-2021 02:00 AM

Thank you very much. I believe that to be correct, as it makes a lot of sense and seems to be what I have witnessed this far. I will go forward with that view of it all.

Thanks again for your good help.