Yealink Forums
ok to shorten server expires setting to 3 minutes? - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: ok to shorten server expires setting to 3 minutes? (/showthread.php?tid=4489)

ok to shorten server expires setting to 3 minutes? - asinshesq - 08-23-2015 07:36 PM

I have a home LAN with 5 ip phones (all yealink), and they all use 3cx running on a laptop on the LAN. I noticed recently that when my 3cx server reboots it takes a really long time (10-20 minutes) for 4 of the 5 phones to be listed as registered on 3cx's console even though the phones themselves identify themselves as registered when I go to their webpage interfaces.

The one that registers quickly has a server expires setting of only 180 seconds while the other four phones have server expires settings of 3600 seconds (the default). When I change those settings to 180 seconds they all quickly show up as registered on the 3cx console when I reboot the 3cx laptop (naturally).

So my question: if I leave the server expires setting to 180 seconds for all phones, will that create any problems for my system or LAN as a practical matter? Since I only have 5 phones I am guessing the LAN traffic is not a real world problem...am I correct? What about phone usability? If I am using a phone when it hits the server expires deadline and re-registers, will that make any sound or otherwise interfere with the phone? And does doing this make it more likely that when I pick up a phone to dial I will (if I do it at just the wrong time when the deadline hits) increase the chances that the phone call doesn't go through?

Thanks.

RE: ok to shorten server expires setting to 3 minutes? - pmterp - 08-24-2015 10:04 PM

While I'm using a different platform (not 3cx) I have my phones set to register expire every 60 seconds. I use routing rules to redirect calls when there is an internet outage and don't want a long time with phones being down before that rule takes effect. Currently there are 2 phones, both set to 60 seconds and I've not had any problems. It does not cause any issues with ongoing audio streams when it re-registers.

(08-23-2015 07:36 PM)asinshesq Wrote:  So my question: if I leave the server expires setting to 180 seconds for all phones, will that create any problems for my system or LAN as a practical matter? Since I only have 5 phones I am guessing the LAN traffic is not a real world problem...am I correct? What about phone usability? If I am using a phone when it hits the server expires deadline and re-registers, will that make any sound or otherwise interfere with the phone? And does doing this make it more likely that when I pick up a phone to dial I will (if I do it at just the wrong time when the deadline hits) increase the chances that the phone call doesn't go through?

RE: ok to shorten server expires setting to 3 minutes? - asinshesq - 08-26-2015 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've been using 3 minutes for the last few days and I (like you) see no trouble so far.