Yealink Forums
Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Phone specific topic (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: T2xP Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Thread: Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? (/showthread.php?tid=3685)

Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - Abigail - 04-23-2015 12:17 AM

Good day (first post).

After some difficulty, managed to connect my new T22P phone to the VOIP provider's VPN server with the phone's native OpenVPN client.

The phone currently connects to the Internet from behind a firewall (Cisco RV042 Router). Since the phone appears to also have a native IPTables firewall, I'm wondering if moving its connection on the router to the DMZ may give better performance (or would it be too dangerous).

Thank you.

RE: Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - James_Yealink - 04-23-2015 05:18 AM

Hi Abigail,

Sorry, I am not professtional to firewall. Others who are good at it must have a better advise.

As a terminal device I think it's needn't to be placed in DMZ zone. The phone IP table firewall you mentioned means the feature " Accept SIP Trust Server Only"?

Regards,
James

RE: Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - Abigail - 04-24-2015 04:41 AM

Good day and thank you, James.

Even if firewalls are not your forté, I'm sure that someone at Yealink would have an intelligent answer.

Is it perhaps included in best practices?

Thank you for your continuing courtesy and cooperation.

RE: Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - complex1 - 04-24-2015 10:08 PM

Abigail Wrote:Even if firewalls are not your forté, I'm sure that someone at Yealink would have an intelligent answer.
Duh. This is in my opinion a not so nice reply. James is trying to help you.

Abigail Wrote:Since the phone appears to also have a native IPTables firewall, I'm wondering if moving its connection on the router to the DMZ may give better performance (or would it be too dangerous).
What do you think yourself? Placing a device in DMZ means it is not protected by the routers firewall. All ports are directly routed through the router to the device in DMZ. Dangerous? I do think so. Or the device must have a build-in firewall of some sort. Do your phone have one?

RE: Would it be safe to assign T22P IP address to DMZ? - Abigail - 04-25-2015 05:29 PM

(04-24-2015 10:08 PM)complex1 Wrote:  
Abigail Wrote:Even if firewalls are not your forté, I'm sure that someone at Yealink would have an intelligent answer.
Duh. This is in my opinion a not so nice reply. James is trying to help you.

No offence was intended, I know that James was trying to be helpful.

Since, I believe, I asked a legitimate and (to me) important question, I was suggesting to James that, as he has done in the past, he ask a developer or someone else at Yealink with firewall knowledge.

Abigail Wrote:Since the phone appears to also have a native IPTables firewall, I'm wondering if moving its connection on the router to the DMZ may give better performance (or would it be too dangerous).
Quote:What do you think yourself? Placing a device in DMZ means it is not protected by the routers firewall. All ports are directly routed through the router to the device in DMZ. Dangerous? I do think so. Or the device must have a build-in firewall of some sort. Do your phone have one?

I'm also not a firewall expert, hence, what I think is not important -- that's why I asked the question in the first place.

Although I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help as well, I cannot decide what to do based on your guess or my guess. I would be very thankful for a definitive answer to a very simple question from someone at Yealink.

Thank you for your continuing courtesy.