Yealink Forums
T48G using Wifi and Mulitcast paging - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: T4x Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: T48G using Wifi and Mulitcast paging (/showthread.php?tid=33507)

T48G using Wifi and Mulitcast paging - joshua@itstel.com - 10-28-2016 02:14 PM

He is more detailed information after extensive testing in my test lab. T48G phone with 35.80.0.130 firmware using Wifi Adapter.

When the phone powers up and registers, the multicast receiving will work within 135 seconds. After that it stops working. If you receive a multicast page every 100 seconds it will always continue to receive - I did this for 12 minutes, broadcasting multicast every 100 seconds. It stops receiving the multicast if there is more than 135 seconds between multicast pages. In the web GUI, if I go to Network-->WiFi-->Click on the SSID--->Click Edit, the phone resets the WiFi and will receive multicast for up to 135 seconds again.

This does not happen when I use the LAN port instead of the WiFi adapter for connectivity.

Does anyone use T48G phones with WiFi adapters with multicast paging and it works? I need to find out before I rely on this solution for my customers. I'm trying to determine if it's the T48G, or a setting in my WiFi network.

RE: T48G using Wifi and Mulitcast paging - jolouis - 10-28-2016 02:41 PM

Most likely a setting on your Wifi AP. Most APs will filter out multicast traffic by default or apply "shaping rules" to minimize over-saturation of wireless bandwidth.

The easiest way to test if it's your Wifi or a Yealink issue is to take your laptop and put it on Wifi only. Run wireshark or TCP dump and then go to a hardwired phone and start a multicast page. You should see the multicast packets streaming in. Stop the page, wait your 135 seconds or whatever odd time value it was, and then doing the multicast page again.

If you see the RTP packets flowing in on your laptop, then wifi is fine and it's a strange Yealink thing. If you see no packets, then it's a Wifi thing.

Good old divide and conquer trouble shooting ;o)

Thanks,
-Rob