Yealink Forums
DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK (/showthread.php?tid=180)

DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - Voore - 01-15-2013 03:31 AM

Dual wan with yealink
I'm using a Dual wan router for fail-over, and for some reason when my router is failing over to the 2nd wan and all my commuters are getting internet my phones will not register till i will reboot it,

is there any way i can set this up that it should automatically registering after its failing over?

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - Yealink Support - 01-18-2013 07:00 PM

(01-15-2013 03:31 AM)Niki Wrote:  Dual wan with yealink
I'm using a Dual wan router for fail-over, and for some reason when my router is failing over to the 2nd wan and all my commuters are getting internet my phones will not register till i will reboot it,

is there any way i can set this up that it should automatically registering after its failing over?

Hi Niki,
Do you mean the scenario is like below ,
Phone and PC in the same internal network ,the pbx is in the internet, both them connect to the internet throught the router, there are two router, first , both the pc and phone connect to the router 1, when router 1 fail, router 2 take over the serive, but the phone will register fail while the pc can connect to the internet successfully, right ?
could you please check if the attached network topology is correct or not ?
could you please send the PCAP trace for us to check?

Best Regards!
Yealink Support Team

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - Voore - 01-18-2013 10:34 PM

no, here is what I have, I'm connecting to a hosted PBX, I have 1 Dual WAN router with 2 Internet connections, if my first Internet connection is going down the same router connects right a way to the second connection and all my PCs are right away to the the 2nd internet but won't register till a reboot

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - clamphy - 11-05-2014 06:21 PM

(01-18-2013 10:34 PM)Niki Wrote:  no, here is what I have, I'm connecting to a hosted PBX, I have 1 Dual WAN router with 2 Internet connections, if my first Internet connection is going down the same router connects right a way to the second connection and all my PCs are right away to the the 2nd internet but won't register till a reboot

I have the very same problem, is there any solution for this issue?
So, Yealink T46G phones + dual WAN Cisco RV320 router.

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - jolouis - 11-05-2014 11:13 PM

Have you guys checked the registration timers on the phones? From the phone's point of view, it has no clue that the internet connection has failed/changed (how would it, it's behind NAT so unless it was trying to determine the public IP of the network it would never know... and it has no reason to ever want to do that). So the phone carries on as usual as if nothing has changed. The problem is the registrations on the PBX side are still pointing at the old public IP (the internet connection that failed).

In order for the PBX to see the phones on the new IP, the phones need to re-register. A reboot of course does this manually. The phones also have registration timers that determine how often the re-registration happens on it's own. I can't remember the defaults now but it's typically 3600 or something like that (once per hour). If you turn that time down (say 120 seconds... once every 2 minutes) then you should find things working better. At worst there will be 2 minutes of downtime when the internet flips over.

The only other option would be to rig up some scripting/process on the router to notify the phones when the internet connection changes. I would expect that's far beyond what you will be able to achieve though, especially on the low end Cisco units.

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - clamphy - 11-05-2014 11:48 PM

(11-05-2014 11:13 PM)jolouis Wrote:  Have you guys checked the registration timers on the phones? From the phone's point of view, it has no clue that the internet connection has failed/changed (how would it, it's behind NAT so unless it was trying to determine the public IP of the network it would never know... and it has no reason to ever want to do that). So the phone carries on as usual as if nothing has changed. The problem is the registrations on the PBX side are still pointing at the old public IP (the internet connection that failed).

In order for the PBX to see the phones on the new IP, the phones need to re-register. A reboot of course does this manually. The phones also have registration timers that determine how often the re-registration happens on it's own. I can't remember the defaults now but it's typically 3600 or something like that (once per hour). If you turn that time down (say 120 seconds... once every 2 minutes) then you should find things working better. At worst there will be 2 minutes of downtime when the internet flips over.

The only other option would be to rig up some scripting/process on the router to notify the phones when the internet connection changes. I would expect that's far beyond what you will be able to achieve though, especially on the low end Cisco units.

Thanks a lot jolouis for your answer. I will try to reduce the registration time to 120sec. I hope this will not interfere with the ongoing calls. What will happen with the calls longer than 2mins?

RE: DUAL WAN WITH YEALINK - jolouis - 11-08-2014 02:41 AM

Registration doesn't have an impact on active calls... the registration just tells the PBX where to send new calls to.

Keep in mind of course if there is an active call and the primary internet connection goes down, the call will get dropped. The difference will be after a maximum of 120 seconds new calls will be able to flow from the PBX to the phone again, and vice versa, using the backup link (where as before it would take up to 3600 seconds before that could happen).