Yealink Forums
Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP (/showthread.php?tid=166)

Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Mark1972 - 01-09-2013 12:32 AM

We have 10 phones (9 - T26, 1 - T28) and a 3CX PBX server. The phones get their provisioning from the server for SNTP. SNTP working great.

We upgraded to the 3CX supported firmware 6.70.0.103 and SNTP stops working on 9 of the 10 phones. Why?

I've tried the following:

1. Reset to factory default and reprovision - SNTP does not work.

2. Manually set SNTP on the web interface - SNTP does not work.

3. Manually set SNTP on the phone's interface - SNTP does not work.

4. Downgraded firmware back to 6.61.0.83 - SNTP does not work

5. Upgraded firmware back to 6.70.0.103 - SNTO does not work.

Again 1 of the 10 phones is working great. It's not a firewall issue since everything was working prior to the firmware upgrade and 1 of the phones gets its date/time correctly.

Any thoughts?

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Yealink Support - 01-09-2013 07:55 PM

(01-09-2013 12:32 AM)mark.s.lowe Wrote:  We have 10 phones (9 - T26, 1 - T28) and a 3CX PBX server. The phones get their provisioning from the server for SNTP. SNTP working great.

We upgraded to the 3CX supported firmware 6.70.0.103 and SNTP stops working on 9 of the 10 phones. Why?

Again 1 of the 10 phones is working great. It's not a firewall issue since everything was working prior to the firmware upgrade and 1 of the phones gets its date/time correctly.

Any thoughts?
Hi,
Please help to make below items clear for us.
1. which phone gests the correct date and time after the firmware upgrade?
2. Could you please go to web UI to check if all the NTP servers are the same in all the phone ?
3. Could you please get the PCAP trace to see if the ntp server has response to the phone request about the time and date?

Best Regards!
Yealink Support Team

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - alanmac - 01-10-2013 10:45 AM

I can vouch for this. The time on my phone is spot on, so it's talking to my NTP server. However, in my central logging, this is the date that's logging:

Tue Nov 26 00:00:14 -0700 2013

Current date/time should be Wed Jan 9 19:44:30 -0700 2013. This was a little off in the logs before, but never by this much. I'm using the T32G.

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Mark1972 - 01-16-2013 08:02 AM

(01-09-2013 07:55 PM)Yealink Support Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 12:32 AM)mark.s.lowe Wrote:  We have 10 phones (9 - T26, 1 - T28) and a 3CX PBX server. The phones get their provisioning from the server for SNTP. SNTP working great.

Any thoughts?
Hi,
2. Could you please go to web UI to check if all the NTP servers are the same in all the phone ?
3. Could you please get the PCAP trace to see if the ntp server has response to the phone request about the time and date?

Best Regards!
Yealink Support Team

Answers:
1. A T26 gets the correct time. I actually upgraded the firmware at a later date than the others. But I also think this was on a different firmware than the other 8 T26's prior to the upgrade. It was our spare phone.

2. All phones get the same NTP server and I confirmed it in the WebUI including the working T26.

3. Enclosed PCAP from non working T26 - I change the NTP check frequency to 60 secs. Looks like NTP is resolved but the phone doesn't update on the screen.

Regards,
Mark

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Yealink Support - 01-17-2013 08:03 PM

(01-16-2013 08:02 AM)mark.s.lowe Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 07:55 PM)Yealink Support Wrote:  

Any thoughts?
Hi,

Best Regards!
Yealink Support Team

Answers:
1. A T26 gets the correct time. I actually upgraded the firmware at a later date than the others. But I also think this was on a different firmware than the other 8 T26's prior to the upgrade. It was our spare phone.

2. All phones get the same NTP server and I confirmed it in the WebUI including the working T26.

3. Enclosed PCAP from non working T26 - I change the NTP check frequency to 60 secs. Looks like NTP is resolved but the phone doesn't update on the screen.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your information ,but I have checked the pcap trace , found it only includes NTP message send from Yealink phone, but can't find the server send reponse to it .
from it , we can see the IP address of T26 is 192.168.99.158, right ?
the phone analy some IP address of the NTP server , 72.151.251.158,208.75.88.4,72.26.198.233 , so it send the NTP message to 72.151.251.158 first , but not reply, so it send to the another IP address ,but none of them give response to the phone.

Could you please help to check why the server doesn't has response , is the phone connect to the network normally ?

Best Regards!
Yealink Support Team

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Mark1972 - 01-26-2013 09:07 AM

The IP Address is correct 192.168.99.158.

The NTP server IP's are resolving OK - they are set to use 0.pool.ntp.org and 1.pool.ntp.org. I have even tried IP addresses instead of the NTP server names.

As for the no response from the NTP server? I don't understand. I have 1 phone getting the correct time and the other 8 are not. I double checked the firewall and outbound rules allow all traffic. How do I know it works? The 1 Phone is working fine. I've included it's trace file where you can clearly see the server response.

In a recent upgrade of an EHS36 I had to downgrade a T26 firmware to the 6.60.200.240 - SNTP did not work and shows the date/time as Wed APR 18 5:00pm. I then upgraded back to 3CX supported firmware 6.70.0.103 and the date/time is SUN DEC 9 4:00PM. SNTP still not working. Huh I've included this phone's trace as well.

The last thing I tried was downloading a NTP client to the PBX server and running it with a verbos log. Every SNTP server I tried worked fine. I then used the IP addresses of a couple servers in a T26 non working phone. Same deal. It didn't work. Enclosed trace.

Any other ideas?

RE: Firmware Upgrade breaks SNTP - Mark1972 - 01-26-2013 10:27 AM

After all said and done I tried tracing packets on the firewall and could see packets from the working phone and not the others. I then tried static assign the IP on one of the non-working phones. The NTP worked just fine. I put it back to DHCP and it stopped working. In short the DHCP server was giving the phone the wrong gateway. A legacy setting for when there were 2 gateways. Changing this DHCP server settings corrected the problem.

Why did the 1 phone work and not the others? The spare was never added to the DHCP server so it would grab the correct gateway like any other device on the network.