Yealink Forums
Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Printable Version

+- Yealink Forums (http://forum.yealink.com/forum)
+-- Forum: IP Phone Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: T4x Series (/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G (/showthread.php?tid=1444)

Pages: 1 2

Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Frank Drews - 03-18-2014 06:18 PM

Hi,

we are running T46Gs with 3cx. We experience, that the telephones (user settings) are being reset without the admins starting this process. We have no complete understanding about the complex situation. Perhaps you could guide us to the places to get a good understand regarding the following topics:
- Which settings are reset when?
- Do the different ways for the user to change the settings (e.g. the web-access and the phone-interface itself) make a difference whether the settings will "survive" an update. We know we can make changes directly on the 3cx that will survive, but we would prefer, self-service but the users.
- We consider the following updates:
*Firmware Update
*New Provisioning
*Restart
*Change of Settings on pbx

Did we miss some? Which changes by the users (like ringtones, keys, display settings, phonebook ....) are effected by which updates?

Any best-practice how to gives users some self-managing control on their phone, which will survive updates of Firmware and Provisioning?

Maybe their is a way to "backup" the user-settings automatically before an update from the phone to the pbx/cloud and reapply those settings after an update.

Keep up the great work
Best regards Frank

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - CWR - 03-18-2014 09:59 PM

We too are on the 3cx and took out volume and ring settings from the 3cx provisioning template.
We prefer our company logo on the phones so we push this each time, but I do not know if this always gets reset to the company logo or stays with user selected wallpaper.
I would expect the template to always overwrite the settings on the phone - but am sure I have seen otherwise and it is indeed very frustrating.

By the way, are you on 3cx v11 or v12?

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Frank Drews - 03-18-2014 10:22 PM

Hi Craigreilly,

thank you for your answer. We will try scrapping some settings from the provisioning template. We are on V12.
What about the Softkeys? Is there a way for a user to define a Softkey, which won't be deleted?

I just talked with a collegue of mine, who talked to 3cx on the cebit and he said, that 3cx is aware of some issue with unwanted Resets, which will be fixed in V13.

Best regards Frank

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - CWR - 03-18-2014 10:39 PM

That is good to know they found a bug and are fixing.
The only way I know to do softkeys would be to give the user access to the WebInterface for their extension. (Extension, Options, Access -> Allow 3cx Management Console Access- "Manage Own Extension".)
The issue here is that the T46 does not start on Key 1 for 3cx. Key 1/2 are "line keys" in the template. Then key 3 is considered BLF1 in the Extension Setup.

I have heard rumors of v13 in early Alpha as well as a SP4a for v12 being around and fixing some bugs.

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Frank Drews - 03-18-2014 10:49 PM

(03-18-2014 10:39 PM)craigreilly Wrote:  The only way I know to do softkeys would be to give the user access to the WebInterface for their extension. (Extension, Options, Access -> Allow 3cx Management Console Access- "Manage Own Extension".)
The issue here is that the T46 does not start on Key 1 for 3cx. Key 1/2 are "line keys" in the template. Then key 3 is considered BLF1 in the Extension Setup.

We will try this out. You are talking about the webinterface of the T46G? Or is it an access to 3cx directly?

A SP4 fixing some bugs would be nice indeed.

Cheers Frank

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - CWR - 03-19-2014 12:40 AM

SP4 is out... This was a SP4a I heard about...

Anyhow - this is a webinterface with access to their extension only:
http://i:5000
enter Extension
Enter special PIN from instructions above.

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Frank Drews - 03-20-2014 06:56 PM

thx

(03-19-2014 12:40 AM)craigreilly Wrote:  SP4 is out... This was a SP4a I heard about...

Anyhow - this is a webinterface with access to their extension only:
http://i:5000
enter Extension
Enter special PIN from instructions above.

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - tsukraw - 04-29-2014 07:38 AM

I know this is a old post but why don't you just # out the else on a key?
{ELSE}
#memorykey.1.type = NA
{ENDIF}

So what we do is on the template # out all the else options for the memorykeys.
If a user wants to program a key they can just push and hold it and it will popup a menu for them to program there own key.

BUT if a system administrator programs a key it will overwrite the user settings.

I know if the phone dies and gets replaced the user will have to re-program all there keys but phones dont die very often.

Just another idea for thought.
At the told of the template where the admin user is setup we add the following 2 lines
security.user_name.user = %%extension_number%%
security.user_password =%%extension_number%%:%%extension_number%%

That will create a user with the extension number for the name and password.
We then show the users how to view there phones IP.

So users who setup a lot of buttons or have the side carts they just go to there phones IP and extension/extension and they are in as a user. Users can set the memorykey settings but do not have access to all the network and admin level stuff.

Has been working great.

Just some ideas.

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - Frank Drews - 04-30-2014 08:11 PM

Hi tuskraw,

thank you for your post. We have still not resolved this. Somehow settings which have been made both by users and admins! keep on disappearing randomly at phones (approx. every 3 month for one phone, admin settings disappear less often).

But your comments are very valueable to us, once we have fixed the general problem.

Which phones/pbx (and versions are you running?). Do you experience any random behaviour regarding loosing settings, too?

All the best Frank

(04-29-2014 07:38 AM)tsukraw Wrote:  I know this is a old post but why don't you just # out the else on a key?
{ELSE}
#memorykey.1.type = NA
{ENDIF}

If a user wants to program a key they can just push and hold it and it will popup a menu for them to program there own key.

BUT if a system administrator programs a key it will overwrite the user settings.

I know if the phone dies and gets replaced the user will have to re-program all there keys but phones dont die very often.

At the told of the template where the admin user is setup we add the following 2 lines

So users who setup a lot of buttons or have the side carts they just go to there phones IP and extension/extension and they are in as a user. Users can set the memorykey settings but do not have access to all the network and admin level stuff.

Has been working great.

Just some ideas.

hi, just one more update
The random reset behaviour seems to be due some issue with two different provisioning templates, which are switched randomly sometimes.
We will soon be working with 3cx together to fix this.

Best regards Frank

(04-30-2014 08:11 PM)Frank Drews Wrote:  Hi tuskraw,

thank you for your post. We have still not resolved this. Somehow settings which have been made both by users and admins! keep on disappearing randomly at phones (approx. every 3 month for one phone, admin settings disappear less often).

But your comments are very valueable to us, once we have fixed the general problem.

Which phones/pbx (and versions are you running?). Do you experience any random behaviour regarding loosing settings, too?

All the best Frank

(04-29-2014 07:38 AM)tsukraw Wrote:  I know this is a old post but why don't you just # out the else on a key?
{ELSE}
#memorykey.1.type = NA
{ENDIF}

Has been working great.

Just some ideas.

RE: Managing change/updates and user preferences on T46G - tsukraw - 05-01-2014 05:32 AM

We are using 3CX V12sp4
We've been doing this since SP1 on V12 when we switched from Grandstream to YeaLink phones.

Never seen that issue before on any of the systems we have installed.