Yealink Forums

Full Version: Voice barely audible during incoming call
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Client with the issue is using a Yealink T46S. We are using a cloud provider Asterisk server.

I have a client in a receptionist position that has an issue where the person on the other end of the call (the caller) will hear a normal audible level of conversation for a time.
Then the caller will hear the receptionists voice go VERY faint. I have heard the same thing while troubleshooting with this receptionist.

This seems to happen when another call is coming in to her phone.

The receptionist is not using a headset, only the handset at all times.

We have swapped out phones and she still has the issue. So this rules out a specific phone issue.

There are five other phones that ring simultaneously and none of them have this issue.
(12-03-2018 03:09 PM)Chris708 Wrote: [ -> ]Client with the issue is using a Yealink T46S. We are using a cloud provider Asterisk server.

I have a client in a receptionist position that has an issue where the person on the other end of the call (the caller) will hear a normal audible level of conversation for a time.
Then the caller will hear the receptionists voice go VERY faint. I have heard the same thing while troubleshooting with this receptionist.

We have swapped out phones and she still has the issue. So this rules out a specific phone issue.

There are five other phones that ring simultaneously and none of them have this issue.

Hi Chris

If you have swapped out phones and she, the receptionist, still has the issue then I think the issue is caused by the Asterisk server.
Have you restart the server already to see if the issue is gone?
(12-04-2018 10:03 AM)complex1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018 03:09 PM)Chris708 Wrote: [ -> ]Client with the issue is using a Yealink T46S. We are using a cloud provider Asterisk server.

Hi Chris

If you have swapped out phones and she, the receptionist, still has the issue then I think the issue is caused by the Asterisk server.
Have you restart the server already to see if the issue is gone?

This is a cloud server of which I do not have control. I can call their service and have them do something but the odd thing is that this doesn't appear to happen with any other phone at their site.
(12-04-2018 06:17 PM)Chris708 Wrote: [ -> ]This is a cloud server of which I do not have control. I can call their service and have them do something but the odd thing is that this doesn't appear to happen with any other phone at their site.

Agreed if you have physically swapped out the phone it's probably not an issue with the phone itself. Since you don't have access to the server to do investigation/troubleshooting, a few things to try that I can think of:
1) Program a new extension number and change the account on the phone to use that. If there is something wonky on the server it could be related to the config/handling of that extension, so hopefully creating a new one from scratch might work around it
2) Firmware up to date?
3) Try a different phone model if you have one (T42 or T48) just to be 100% safe if possible.
4) Try a different network drop/port on the switch?

Also, have you done a syslog level 6 on the phone and been able to reproduce the issue? If so you can open a ticket with Yealink support and see if there is anything they find in the log file...
(12-05-2018 02:06 PM)jolouis Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2018 06:17 PM)Chris708 Wrote: [ -> ]This is a cloud server of which I do not have control. I can call their service and have them do something but the odd thing is that this doesn't appear to happen with any other phone at their site.

Agreed if you have physically swapped out the phone it's probably not an issue with the phone itself. Since you don't have access to the server to do investigation/troubleshooting, a few things to try that I can think of:
1) Program a new extension number and change the account on the phone to use that. If there is something wonky on the server it could be related to the config/handling of that extension, so hopefully creating a new one from scratch might work around it
2) Firmware up to date?
3) Try a different phone model if you have one (T42 or T48) just to be 100% safe if possible.
4) Try a different network drop/port on the switch?

Also, have you done a syslog level 6 on the phone and been able to reproduce the issue? If so you can open a ticket with Yealink support and see if there is anything they find in the log file...
I did a number of things to troubleshoot this issue.
Packet capture, syslog, swapped handset + cord, swapped entire phone, upgraded firmware --- all to no avail.
Turns out the user was moving the handset mouthpiece so that it rested under her mouth/chin to use both hands, causing the mouthpiece to be muffled.
I had that suspicion and asked numerous times if the user was doing something 'different' when the audio problem occurred and the reply was 'no'.
It took an onsite tech to prove that, in fact, the user was moving the handset as described above. I am guessing, in favor of the user, that they was probably just doing this without thinking about it and I did not specifically ask, are you moving the handset away from your mouth...now I know.
We ended up ordering a headset.

It is due to Asterisk server.Try restarting the server and issue should be solved.
(03-28-2019 10:38 AM)Langveldt Wrote: [ -> ]

It is due to Asterisk server.Try restarting the server and issue should be solved.
Asterik service may be the problem,or else i see more chances of signal interference problem..may be due to some network pole nearby you..Try to figure out that..Or else asterik may also be an issue MyCCPay Portal
Thanks for those who responded but I just want to hilight that this issue was resolved and was a user issue. The resolution/findings are in the midst of my post at 03-03-2019 02:00 AM. Here is the post with the specific line pointed out.

Quote:I did a number of things to troubleshoot this issue.
Packet capture, syslog, swapped handset + cord, swapped entire phone, upgraded firmware --- all to no avail.

Turns out the user was moving the handset mouthpiece so that it rested under her mouth/chin to use both hands, causing the mouthpiece to be muffled.

I had that suspicion and asked numerous times if the user was doing something 'different' when the audio problem occurred and the reply was 'no'.
It took an onsite tech to prove that, in fact, the user was moving the handset as described above. I am guessing, in favor of the user, that they was probably just doing this without thinking about it and I did not specifically ask, are you moving the handset away from your mouth...now I know.
We ended up ordering a headset.
Reference URL's