Yealink Forums

Full Version: Pings roughly double on phones...Yealink issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a suite of Yealink phones; T42, T46, & T48. I have these connected to a dedicated POE switch Netgear GS728TP which is directly connected to Verizon FIOS provided Actiontec Router. All are on firmware 50.

All my Yealink pings are roughly double that of my Grandstream phones (~70ms vs ~140+). Am I missing a setting somewhere? Everything is set to their defaults and the only devices connected to this network are the phones.

Thanks
Hi Happyj

You ping Yealink phones from Netgear switch?
Or ping from a PC connected to Yealink phones? If you ping from a PC, what's the address you ping?

50 firmware means x.73.0.50?

Regards,
James
(05-07-2015 05:58 AM)Yealink_James Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Happyj

You ping Yealink phones from Netgear switch?
Or ping from a PC connected to Yealink phones? If you ping from a PC, what's the address you ping?

50 firmware means x.73.0.50?

Regards,
James

Hi James, the ping is from the cloud PBX server to the phones, so call quality is acceptable but delay can occasionally be detected on the Yealink devices. Local pings are minimal.

That is correct about the firmware; x.73.0.50.
Any additional comments/suggestions on this? I have 15 registered devices, 12 are Yealink, all Yealink phones have approximately double the ping of the other 3 devices (Grandstream and Obihai).
Hi Happyj,

Can you please plug a laptop to phone PC port in Yealink and Grandstream/obihai. Then ping or tracert the cound PBX through laptop?

Regards,
James
(05-08-2015 11:36 PM)Yealink_James Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Happyj,

Can you please plug a laptop to phone PC port in Yealink and Grandstream/obihai. Then ping or tracert the cound PBX through laptop?

Regards,
James

Ping times from a PC connected to the Yealink and Grandstream were both 70ms averaged to the PBX server. The traceroute showed similar results.
So it seems that delay occurs when phone deal with the ping packet.
I will try to reproduce the issue in my side firstly.

Regards,
James
im not sure exactly what IP stack the yealinks use, however i had this same issue with another brand phone.. the phones worked fine, we had no voice quality issues, but their ping times were much higher than other phones (ie aastra, polycom)...

the issue was actually nothing at all.. it was the fact that the embedded IP stack they use prioritizes packets and CPU usage.. Ping ICMP stuff was at the Bottom of the list so was taken care of Last by the phone..

the correct way to "Ping" a phone if you are using it for moinitoring quality statistics is to send it a Sip OPTIONS packet and measure the reply time.. this is the way Asterisk Server "qualify" works. . so in Hosted situations you can get a decent idea of Network latency without a lot of fancy VQM software..
-Christopher
Reference URL's