Yealink Forums

Full Version: Contact Picture URL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to specify a contact picture in ContactData.xml using a URL?

I tried various methods to call a picture inside one of the contact entries, but nothing has worked.

Here are some examples of what I tried:

Code:
Using the 'Config:' prefix.

<contact sDisplayName="Test" sOfficeNumber="999" sMobilNumber="" sOtherNumber="" sLine="0" sRing="Auto" group="" photoDefault="Config:tftp://192.168.13.3/test.jpg" photoSelect="0" />

--

Using the 'Resource:' prefix.

<contact sDisplayName="Test" sOfficeNumber="999" sMobilNumber="" sOtherNumber="" sLine="0" sRing="Auto" group="" photoDefault="Resource:tftp://192.168.13.3/test.jpg" photoSelect="0" />

--

Using the 'Custom:' prefix.

<contact sDisplayName="Test" sOfficeNumber="999" sMobilNumber="" sOtherNumber="" sLine="0" sRing="Auto" group="" photoDefault="Custom:tftp://192.168.13.3/test.jpg" photoSelect="0" />

--

Using no prefix.

<contact sDisplayName="Test" sOfficeNumber="999" sMobilNumber="" sOtherNumber="" sLine="0" sRing="Auto" group="" photoDefault="tftp://192.168.13.3/test.jpg" photoSelect="0" />

Of course, none of those are documented methods of calling a picture. I was hoping they would work.

I'm aware of the official method, using Contact.tar, but would like to avoid this if possible, as it adds another level of complexity to the system (archiving an archive).

Being able to plug in a URL for the picture would be much easier.

Thanks in advance.
As far as I know the phones cannot do that (but I am by no means an expert).

I have only found two ways to assign pictures to contacts for the T-46 at least:

First, as detailed here using the Tar within a Tar file:
Code:
<contact display_name="Test Office" office_number="221" mobile_number="" other_number="" line="-1" ring="Auto" group_id_name="Office" default_photo="Config:221.jpg" />

Otherwise I have found you can call a picture that is built into the phone by doing:
Code:
<contact display_name="Test Office 2" office_number="222" mobile_number="" other_number="" line="-1" ring="Auto" group_id_name="Office" default_photo="/phone/resource/sysdata/contact-image/icon_friend_b.png" />

The phones are not exactly speedy when it comes to provisioning and loading files, I'm not sure that you would want them to download all those pictures individually even if you could. And if you already have all the pictures on your TFTP server its just one line of scripting to get that second tar file built, you can even use Cron to build it on a regular basic and set the phones to update nightly if the pictures change often.
This question comes up quite a lot in the forum. Currently it is only supported for photos uploaded to the local contact list. I have seen similar posts requesting the possibility to get CallerID pictures from LDAP-lookup, remote phonebook, SIP headers... But Yealink doesn't support any of these yet.

I think all of these suggestions should be bundled and handed to the product team, since it is one of the features that is highly visible to the users and can be used to promote the high-end phones more easily.

Hopefully we can get this functionality in the future.
Reference URL's